Interview with Mrs. Niles

Mrs. Niles is a 7th-grade Accelerated English teacher. Ever since she was 4 years old, she knew she had to teach, going as far as to teach her stuffed animals and little sister. She wanted to be a teacher, writer, interior decorator, wife, and mother, and she accomplished all of those! When she was a student, she had some very great teachers, and she was very hardworking and tried her best. She loves her job, team, and students, and even though it’s not perfect, she is very fortunate to have this experience. Some of her most challenging times in the classroom are when students take their education for granted and don’t give learning a chance. She wants her students to remember that she always tried her very best to motivate them, challenge them, for them to love learning, and to inspire them to be successful. Besides teaching, she wants to write another book! In the future, she wants to teach more, write more, and she also would want grandkids.

Who has been the biggest influence on your life?

Jesus Christ.

When and why did you decide to become a teacher?

I knew when I was 4 years old, that I had to teach. I taught my stuffed animals, then my little sister!

What are the most challenging moments you’ve experienced in the classroom?

When students take their education for granted and they aren’t excited to learn and do not give learning a chance. This is a very small percentage of my classes.

Do you like your job?

Love it. I love my students, love my job, love my team. I feel blessed to work here. It’s not perfect, but I feel very fortunate.

How has your life been different than what you’d imagined?

In some ways, it’s very much like I imagined, all of my work goals were achieved, however, I am still surprised by how it works, in positive and negative ways.

What did you think you were going to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be 3 things; a teacher, writer, interior decorator, wife, mother, and I accomplished them all!

What kind of student were you?

I was hard-working, I always tried my best, and I wanted to be at the top of the class. I’ve always had a passion for learning.

Was there a teacher or teachers who had a particularly strong influence on your life?

I had a great history teacher, cheerleading coach, and several great English teachers.

How would you like your students to remember you?

I want my students to remember that I always tried my very best to motivate them, challenge them, for them to love learning, and to inspire them to be successful. I hope they remember that my class helped them in high school and college and that they’re grateful for all the work they did.

Looking back, what advice would you give to yourself in your first year of teaching?

Buckle up, because this is going to be the most difficult year of your life, but the lessons I learned were very important.

What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?

Do not worry about things that no one will care about 100 years from now, and take each day as a gift from God, and be grateful.

What are you proudest of?

My family and my boys. I’m very proud of my boys.

If you could do anything now, what would you do? Why?

Write another book. I cannot find the time to finish what I have been writing.

Can you tell me about a moment when a person’s kindness made a difference in your life?

I’ve had a lot of rough times in my life, and my friends and family have always supported me, prayed for me, and made the dark times bearable.

What does your future hold?

More teaching, more writing, and hopefully grandkids!