Interview with Mrs. Orth

In about 3rd grade, Ms. Orth realized that she wanted to become a teacher. When she was younger, she used to play school

with her dolls. Her first day of teaching was very chaotic and challenging. She didn’t know that the kids would ha

ve so much lack of motivation. Looking back to her first year of teaching, she would give herself the advice to not worry and not everything has to be perfect. She wants her students to know that she cares about them and that they’ve learned something. In her life, she wasn’t expecting to travel as much as she does now. Her dad was a Sunday school teacher and everything that looked so simple, he would make it so interesting. The most important people to her are her family. The important lessons she’s learned in life are to treat others how you want to be treated. Her parents taught her all about how to respect others. For generations on, she would like people to know that they have to work hard for something they want. She would like to be known for how she respects others. She would tell her younger self to work hard and never give up. She would describe herself as a kind person who loves to teach her students new things every day. In 10-20 years Ms. Orth believes nothing would change and she’d be living in the same house with her family.

When and why did you decide to become a teacher? 

In about 3rd grade when I played school with my dolls.

Tell me about your first day as a teacher. 

Very challenging and chaotic.

How is teaching different than how you imagined it to be?  

I didn’t think the kids would have so much lack of motivation or desire.

How has your life been different than you imagined it?

I wasn’t expecting to travel so much.

Looking back, what advice would you give to yourself in your first year of teaching?

I would tell her not to worry and whatever you are doing, it doesn’t have to be perfect.

Was there a teacher or teachers who had a particularly strong influence on your life? What did you learn about teaching from them?

My dad was a Sunday school teacher and he made everything that was so simple seem so interesting.

How would you like your students to remember you?

I want them to know that I care and that they’ve learned something.

Can you tell me about the important people in your life?

All of my family, they are very important to me.

What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?

To treat others with respect and how I want to be treated.

For generations listening to this years from now, is there any wisdom you’d want to pass on to them? What would you want them to know?

To work hard for something you want.

Who had the biggest influence on your life? What did they teach you?

My parents and my grandparents. They taught me a lot about respect and how to respect others.

How would you like to be remembered?

That I respect others.

If you could talk to your younger self what would you say?

To work hard and never give up.

How would you describe yourself?  

I would describe myself as a kind person who loves to teach her students new things every day.

Where do you think you’ll be in 10-20 years? 

In 10-20 years I don’t think anything will change. I think I’ll be in the same house with my family.