Interview With Mr. Kamau

Christopher Alvarado, Writer

Mr. Kamau is a very wise and mature person. His ability to always maintain his composure in the face of adversity is admirable. His outlook on life is the one of a man who doesn’t permit his past experiences to change his present life. He encourages always learning and to have the highest expectations for yourself. He stated ¨The best time to start something was yesterday. The second best time is today.¨ He is a passionate musician having won a national title. If he wasn’t a teacher he proclaimed that he would still pursue music in an orchestra. He enjoys spending time with his friends, family and in his free time, he likes to go out to eat. He wishes to have a life filled with memories of his loved ones. He wants to be a lifelong teacher and share his experiences with others around him.

What have been some of the happiest moments in your life? The saddest?

Happiest = My mom had cancer in her kidney and she became cancer-free that day was a good day saddest = When my grandparents died that sucked

What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?

Never stop learning, keep an open mind, never get to a point where you think you can’t get any better. There is always going to be more you can learn. Be kind, that’s another one you never know who needs your kindness, and always go out of your way to be kind.  The best time to start is now; it’s never too late to start doing something. “The best time to start is yesterday. The second best time is now.¨ Set your goals as high as possible and have high expectations. Always ask questions

What are you proudest of? 

winning a national title, the level of music I made, and reaching our high standard.

What does your future hold? 

Many more beautiful experiences with friends and family and music.

Do you have any regrets?

I used to but you realize that those experiences and those feelings of regrets mold and set you down the path in life.

Tell me about your first day as a teacher. 

I started in October when the marching band went to the high school. It was my normal schedule but it went by so fast.

How long have you been teaching? 

I have been teaching for a little over 6 months.

If you weren’t a teacher what would your job be? 

I would be an orchestra member.

What do you do in your free time?

I spend time with friends and family and music. I am a foodie and I love going out to eat.

How long have you been doing music? 

Since I was 5 or 6 but I didn’t like my teacher.

What has been your favorite interaction with a student?

I told a kid to go to a specific teacher when I was a student teaching and then he became 1st chair all-state. Another is that I told a girl to go to a college and she ended up going there.

When do you plan to retire?

From being a teacher never but this job when I can afford it. I will always be a teacher because there is no point in having knowledge if you aren’t going to share it with others.

How were you as a student?

I mean I was like a B+ student in the 7th grade.

How many children do you want?

Three children I think is ideal.

Do you think teachers are underpaid?

Yes, teachers are paid way more abroad but here in the U.S., they are underpaid.