My interview with Mrs. Loeffelholz

Mrs. Loeffelholz was born in Alabama, then her parents became missionaries so they moved to Costa Rica, then to Argentina. Finally, she moved to texas to do college and then moved to Oklahoma to finish college and stayed here. Mrs. Loeffelholz had wanted to be a teacher ever since she was little. She and her sister used to play school and she would always be the teacher, that was her favorite memory growing up. She was always very passionate about wanting to become a teacher, there were a few teachers that had a strong influence on her wanting to teach, and growing up she always enjoyed school. Once she was old enough she could finally go to college to pursue her dream. Her first day as a teacher was very scary, because there were people her size and even taller,  but after a few days, she got used to it. She said teaching was pretty much just how she imagined it to be, just with a lot more paperwork. One of the most challenging moments as a teacher for her is keeping the student engaged even when times get difficult (like zoom). Teaching makes her feel hopeful about once a week, and she hopes her students remember her as someone who wants to have fun but also knows you have to take life a little seriously sometimes. Her teacher friends are one of the most important people in her life because she knows if she’s ever-struggling she can ask them for help. Her husband also has a big influence on her life. He supports her financially, and he supports all of her decisions.

Tell me about a time teaching made you feel hopeful

Mrs. Loeffelholz said there is about a time once a week when teaching makes her feel hopeful. She said the reason for this is there’s a time when she will say something in class and she will see a “light bulb” go off and she knows that everyone finally got it, and that makes her feel hopeful because she knows she’s on the right track. 

When and why did you decide to become a teacher?

Mrs.Loeffelholz had wanted to be a teacher since she was little. She and her younger sister used to play school all the time. Mrs. Loeffelholz would always be the teacher and her younger sister would be the student. They set up all their stuffed animals and dolls, and they had a library with a bunch of different school stuff, that’s what they would use for their classroom.

Tell me about your first day as a teacher

Mrs. Loeffelholz said her first day was scary (she was teaching 5th grade). She said she had planned and planned and planned, and she had all of these great things she was going to do. When she got up to teach and the kids started to file in, she got extra nervous because most of them were the same height as she was. She said it was an overall scary and daunting day, but after that day things went smoothly. 

How is teaching different from how you imagined it to be?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said it has a whole lot more paperwork! She said you also have to have a paper trail to keep everything organized. Then she said the planning part was pretty much the same as she imagined. So was the actual teaching part of it. 

What are the most challenging and/or funniest moments you have experienced in the classroom?

Mrs.Loeffelholz said for challenging keeping kids engaged and changing how she teaches to keep them engaged. She said when we were on zoom and staying home she had to completely change how she presents a lesson, and now coming back she had to change it again. 

Was there a teacher or teacher who had a particular influence on your life? And what did you learn about teaching from them?

She had two. One was her choir teacher. She said she took choir all through high school, and she was amazing. She said she was a very strong woman, but she was also very personable, and she liked that. She could control the chaos in the classroom and still make herself comfortable. Her second one was her 5th-grade teacher, Mrs. King, she taught her everything about writing papers, and throughout the rest of her time going to school, writing papers was a piece of cake. Mrs. Loeffelholz said that she hated the women when she was in the class, but appreciated what she did for her.  

How would you like your student to remember you?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said it’s hard because there are a lot. She wants them to remember her as someone who cared for them, who wanted to have fun at school but also knew you have to take life a little seriously sometimes, and if there was something that they needed, she would always be there.

Looking back, what advice would you give to yourself during your first year of teaching?

Mrs.Loeffelholz said don’t be so scared and just go for it cause it’s gonna be ok, and you will live through it even if it tanks (it goes really bad).

Do you have any favorite stories from teaching?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said she has 2. The first one is she had a kid and it was during state testing. He was sitting off to the side and he had his reading carousel. On the day of state testing, he brought a duck dynasty toy that when you squeeze it, talks. They were getting started and Mrs.Loeffelholz went over to him and asked him to make sure the toy was off and he said yes so she let him have it out. Well about halfway through the state testing it fell off the shelf and went to pick it and it started saying a bunch of duck dynasty quotes, and the whole room was quiet from testing. Her second story was in her first year of teaching she had some crazy moments where she was trying everything to get the kids quiet and nothing worked, so she wanted to try a new technique (it does not work). The technique was you just stop everything and have the kids line up and don’t tell them where you’re going, then go outside and ask the teacher through a tantrum and then you turn around and go back inside. So she tried it. When she did the rest of the day went smoothly, but she thinks she scared just about everyone in that classroom. 

Can you tell me about the important people in your life? Mrs. Loeffelholz said her husband. The reason being is he supports everything she does. Not just financially, but anything she wants to try, anything at school she wants to go to. The other people are all of the teachers that she works with because they also want to see her succeed. If she’s having trouble she knows that there are certain people she can go to and they help her get through it. 

What are you proudest of?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said first of all that she made it this long in teaching. She’s been teaching for 14 years, and she took off  9 years when she had her kids. Coming back from when she was a brand new teacher, and having kids it was completely different. She’s proud that she stuck it out and that she made it through all the changes. The second thing is she’s proud that when she sees former students out in about that they don’t run and hide.

What are your hopes for what the future holds for me?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said she hopes that I understand that yes this schooling is weird sometimes, and in the last couple of years it’s been extremely strange, but we (as in the teachers) are trying to pour into you not just knowledge but how to get through life. She hopes that I see this as an opportunity to do whatever it is and that I can do whatever it is that I set my mind to. 

Where did you grow up?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said that that’s an interesting question. She was born in Alabama and lived there until she was in 6th grade. Then in 6th grade, her parents became missionaries and they moved to Costa Rica and lived there for a year to learn how to speak Spanish. After that, she moved to Argentina and lived there during her middle school and high school years. Then she moved to Texas to go to college, and then she moved to Oklahoma to finish college. 

What is one of the best memories you have from your childhood?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said she had a ton of memories flashing through her mind right now but one of the main ones was playing school with her sister. She said she remembers how fun it was and they were just having a great time playing school with her sister. 

Did you enjoy school?

Mrs. Loeffelholz said sometimes. She said she was a nerd in school and she did not do sports. She did try out for sports though. She did volleyball but quit as soon as she found out there was running involved. She swam a little bit, and she tried out for cheer but did not make it. She said she liked school for the most part.