Interview with Mrs. Dillard

Emma Brown, Writer

Mrs. Dillard wanted to be a teacher because she wanted to push students to be the best of themselves. On her first day, she was late because her alarm clock was not working. She grew up in a really small neighborhood with her br

other, mother, and father. She played with her brother and neighbor until she found her best friend Holly. Holly and she played basketbal

l and Polly Pockets. Growing up, she was a straight-A student and never got in trouble, EVER. She wanted to be a vet when she grew up but decided to be a teacher around junior high school. She doesn’t like her fourth hour because they are loud all the time but eventually, she decided to be strict against them just last week. She loves building relationships with her students and athletes and watching them grow. She plans on retiring at 57 and would have extremely mixed emotions when she retires. She is still best friends with Holly.

Tell me about your first day as a teacher.

She was late but the teachers were really nice.

What are the most challenging and/or funniest moments you’ve experienced in the classroom?

I had a fourth hour that was really bad, they weren’t at the start, but the

y just kept talking. 

What kind of student were you?

Straight A’s and I never got in trouble. 

Do you have any favorite stories from school?

She really enjoyed Yearbook, she was an editor, and she was creative, and the English teacher was supportive. 

How would you describe your best friend?

Kind, quiet, opposite of mean, and shy. 

Did you get into trouble? What was the worst thing you did? 

Her brother was 16 months apart and they fought and argued and they got in trouble for that.

Do you have any favorite stories from your childhood? 

She was playing with her brother and neighbor and they rode around in four-wheelers and golf carts. 

When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? 

I wanted to be a vet, and they had cows but I would like to work with smaller animals. 

If you could talk to a younger version of yourself, what would you say? 

Not to be hard on yourself and give yourself grace. 

Do you like your job? What is one thing you like about it? 

Yes, I like building relationships with students and watching them grow to be amazing people. 

Do you plan on retiring? If so, when? How do you feel about it?

She plans on retiring at 57 and will have mixed emotions about it. 

Do you have any favorite stories from your work life? 

Making friendships with co-teachers and celebrating each other families’ growth is a very happy moment. 

When and why did you decide to become a teacher? 

When she was in junior high school. She tutored elementary students and they don’t have parents to push them to achieve their potential so she decided to take up teaching. 

Looking back, what advice would you give to yourself in your first year of teaching? 

Tell myself to be more strict at the beginning because it is easier to be strict at the beginning than in the middle of the school year.

Who were your best friends growing up? What were they like? 

Her best friend is Holly, and still besties now, she was her first girl- friend, and she played with Polly pockets and basketballs, Holly is the opposite of mean and quiet, kind, caring.